Listing Of Department Stores Of The United Kingdom
The business came to be owned by House of Fraser in the 1970s (possibly via a bigger acquisition?) and was renamed Dingles before closing in the Eighties. The premises had been purchased by Denners. John Falconer & Co. – Bought by Scottish Drapery Corporation 1929. Acquired by House of Fraser 1952; renamed Frasers Nineteen Seventies; closed 2002. Corders – established 1787 Bought by Debenhams; integrated into Footman Pretty on completion of latest building.
Godfreys – closed 2015; re-opened as Kerry’s Home Furnishings. Finnigans (Wilmslow; previously Manchester) – Relocated from Manchester metropolis centre to Wilmslow c.
Acquired by John Lewis Partnership in 1940. Selfridges flagship division store was not a part of this acquisition and was acquired by Lewis’s in 1951. All retailers are temporarily closed aside from for the gathering of pre-paid Call & Collect orders from chosen stores.
Havens Opened 1901; Store closed in 2017 and moved to being an online retailer only. George Henry Havelock – Destroyed by hearth 18 July 1898; rebuilt 1900; closed 1914. William Harvey – Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1953. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; renamed Army & Navy; renamed House of Fraser. Grant Warden (Walton-on-Thames) – Formerly Campbell & Booker. Bought by J E Beale; renamed Beales.
Vape Shop in East Lindsey, UK
Acquired by House of Fraser 1977; renamed House of Fraser c. Dawson Brothers – bought by Drapery Trust; possession subsequently transferred to Debenhams; sold Closed. Located at City Road / East Road junction. Cresta House – opened by Debenhams as a branch of Cresta House in premises beforehand occupied by the Harrogate branch of Marshall & Snelgrove. Bought by Schofields; renamed Schofields. Acquired by House of Fraser; closed. Building now occupied by Hoopers .
Acquired by Selfridge Provincial Stores 1926. Subsequently, acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; closed 1949. Subsequently, acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; closed 1990. Pophams Plymouth – Opened in 1824 as Pophams & Radford before the Radford component was dropped in 1931.
Building now occupied by Tesco Metro . Woodard’s Opened 1908 on corner of Regent Street and the Parade. Store was closed by then owners Merchant Retail on the 31st July 2004, contributing £300,000 profit to the group. The constructing was bought to Atlantic Property Developments plc who demolished the constructing in 2005.
Bought by John Lewis Partnership 1934; renamed John Lewis on relocation to new constructing 2000. Strange & Atkinson – purchased by Bobby & Co.
Bought by Binns 1934; renamed Binns. Acquired by House of Fraser 1953; renamed Frasers. Howards – Bought by United Drapery Stores; later included into the John Blundell group; renamed John Blundell. George Hilton & Sons – Established 1882; closed Eighties. Main buildings demolished and website redeveloped as Orchards Shopping Centre.
Bought by Hoopers 1982; renamed Hoopers 1982. Closed 2001 and renamed House of Fraser. Eastmonds – Bought by Banburys of Barnstaple; renamed Banburys.
Bought by John Lewis Partnership 1947; offered to McCartney Stewart. Site now occupied by a part of Marks & Spencer and south-japanese part of Arndale Centre . Tuttles – Bought by Debenhams c. Thomas Tucker – Established 1801. Bought by Benzie household, of Benzie & Miller, 1958; closed 2007. Ranbys – Bought by Debenhams 1960s; renamed Debenhams 1973; relocated 2007. Quin & Axten – Bought by Bon Marché 1920.
Bought by John Lewis Partnership 1953; business of A H Bull integrated into Heelas 1953; renamed John Lewis 2001. Bought by Drapery Trust; included into the Bobby & Co. group; renamed Debenhams 1970s. Genge & Co. – Succeeded George Dixon & Jameson 1899. Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1953. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; renamed Dingles; closed Nineteen Eighties.
Bought by Selfridges in 1919; included into Selfridge Provincial Stores in 1926; rebuilt in 1935. Acquired by John Lewis Partnership in 1940; closed in 1981; building subsequently occupied by Waitrose. John Banner – Established 1873; relocated to Attercliffe Road in 1894; rebuilt in 1934. Bought by Hurst & Sandler and subsequently acquired by United Drapery Stores; closed in 1980. Selfridge Provincial Stores – group created by Selfridges in 1926.
Vape Shop in Manchester, UK
Wilson & Co – established in 1883; constructing destroyed by fire in 1909 Store re-opened with new grand building and have drip more e juice become often known as Wilson’s Corner. Building now occupied by smaller items and flats.
Acquired by United Drapery Stores. Here at Evapo we stock an extensive range of vaping merchandise; catering to new vapers, advanced vapers, and everybody in between. Webbers – Succeeded City Drapery Stores 1905. Bought by Hide & Co. 1952; closed 1971. Vokins – Established 1882 as ‘Leeson & Vokins’. Traded as ‘Leeson & Vokins’ 1882–1937; W H Vokins 1937–1983; Vokins 1983–1997; closed 1997. Vokins continued to trade as ‘Vokins Furniture & Beds’ from a site in Hove till closure in 2015.
Vape Shop in Warrington, UK
The flagship Liverpool retailer was last owned by Vergo Retail and closed on 29 May 2010. This is a listing of department stores of the United Kingdom. In the case of division store groups, the placement of the flagship retailer is given. This list doesn’t embody giant specialist stores, which typically resemble department stores. The listing is broken into “presently buying and selling” (A–Z); “defunct teams” and “defunct” (A–Z). Kennards – Bought by Drapery Trust; renamed Debenhams 1973.Kennards – Opened by Debenhams as a branch of Kennards of Croydon; closed. Bought by House of Fraser 1977; closed 2005.David Evans – Opened as a department of David Evans of Swansea 1961.
Former furnishings building now occupied by Robert Dyas . Heelas & Sons Co. – Established 1854. Bought by Charles Clore 1947; offered to United Drapery Stores 1950.
Vape Shop in Sefton, UK
Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1968; renamed Army & Navy. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; closed 2004.
Bought out by Dingles in 1962 and closed shortly after. Ponting Brothers – Bought by John Barker & Co. 1907. Acquired by House of Fraser 1957; closed 1970. William Plumpton & Son – Bought by Palmers; renamed Palmers.
Bought by John Barker & Co. 1947. Acquired by House of Fraser 1957; closed 1968; reopened as Dickins & Jones on completion of recent constructing 1970; renamed House of Fraser 2007. G R Cooper – bought by Selfridges in 1966. Original retailer demolished 1973 for brand spanking new store as a part of Westgate growth. Bourne & Hollingsworth – Closed 1983.Bourne & Hollingsworth – Opened as a department of Bourne & Hollingsworth of Oxford Street; offered 1979. Bonds – bought by John Lewis Partnership in 1982; renamed John Lewis in 2001. Edward Bates – established 1869; bought by Bentalls in 1979; renamed Bentalls; closed within the 1980s.
Vape Shop in Swansea, UK
McDonalds, Wylie & Lochhead – formed from the merger of McDonalds and Wylie & Lochhead by House of Fraser 1957; renamed Frasers 1975. Jones Brothers – Bought by Selfridge Provincial Stores. Acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; closed 1990. Jones & Higgins – Established 1867. Acquired by Great Universal Stores; closed 1980.
W H Hunt & Co. – Established 1889; closed 1923. Located at 197–207 Kensington High Street. Holdrons – Bought by Selfridge Provincial Stores. Acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; offered 1948. M C Hitchen & Son – bought to Littlewoods in 1952. George Hitchcock Williams & Co. (St Paul’s Churchyard, London) – Established 1841; closed 1984.
H L Reid – bought by Great Northern & Southern Stores and Wright Brothers 1938. Subsequently, acquired by House of Fraser 1975. Rankin & Co. – Bought by Benzie & Miller; renamed Benzie & Miller. Acquired by House of Fraser 1958; renamed Arnotts 1970s; closed Eighties. A L Ramsay – Established 1845, later A L Ramsay & Son.
Bought by Benzie & Miller; renamed Benzie & Miller. Acquired by House of Fraser; renamed Arnotts; closed. Gray Peverell & Co. – Established 1902. Bought by Binns 1926; renamed Binns. Acquired by House of Fraser 1953; closed 1992. Pearsons – Opened as a branch of Pearsons of Enfield.
Bought by United Drapery Stores; renamed Allders c. J D Morant (Chichester; previously Southsea) – Established 1910; Southsea premises destroyed by bombing 1941; relocated to Chichester 1941. Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1955; renamed Army & Navy. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; renamed House of Fraser 2007. Eighteen ivg eliquid cookie dough 12mg 10ml Eighties; succeeded by Norman Jones & Co.
Staddons – Bought by Drapery Trust; ownership subsequently transferred to Debenhams; sold. Eldred Sayers & Sons – Bought by Bentalls; renamed Bentalls; relocated. Bought by J E Beale from Fenwick; renamed Beales; closed. Arthur Sanders – Established 1770. Bought by Binns 1922; renamed Binns. Acquired by House of Fraser 1953. Now solely surviving retailer to retain the Binns name .
Subsequently, acquired by House of Fraser 1969; renamed Dingles 1973; closed Nineteen Nineties. Bobby & Co. – Succeeded John Cordeux & Sons as a branch of Bobby & Co. in 1928; closed in 1932 and premises offered to Brights. Boardmans – purchased by Keddies within the Nineteen Seventies; closed in 1984 and constructing demolished. Anderson’s Royal Polytechnic – established 1837 as Glasgow’s first division retailer. Bought by Lewis’s within the 1920s and rebuilt.
Closed previous to sale to Morles and now a Primark. Stuart Norris – Succeeded Driscolls. Acquired by House of Fraser 1975; renamed Chiesmans 1975; renamed Army & Navy; closed 1990s. Robert Maule & Son – established 1894.
Edward J Clarke – Bought by McDonalds of Glasgow 1922; renamed McDonalds 1922. Acquired by House of Fraser 1951; later incorporated into the Binns group; renamed Binns. Boothroyds – bought by Broadbents of Southport; acquired by Owen Owen and merged with Broadbents to type Broadbents & Boothroyds on the Boothroyds site. William Badcock & Son – Bought by E Dingle & Co. in the 1960s; subsequently acquired by House of Fraser in 1971. Attwoods – bought by Kay & Co. of Worcester, the catalogue enterprise within the 1950s. Hurst & Sandler – principally a manufacturer of robes and different textile goods.
Re-opened as the Houndsditch earlier than closing in 1984 and being demolished and replaced by Aylesham Centre. Norman Jones & Co. – Succeeded Makins & Bean. Free E Juice Vaping Giveaways by Mr. R. H. Carlton 1911; renamed Carltons 1918. Bought by Drapery Trust; renamed Debenhams 1972. Joseph Johnson – Established 1880. Acquired by Fenwick 1962; renamed Fenwick. Bought by Debenhams 1943; renamed Debenhams 1973.
Henry Sparrow Started as Sworders Ironmongery store in the course of the mid 1800s in North Street. In 1904 it was bought by the stores clerk, Henry Sparrow. His household grew it into Bishop Stortford’s solely department retailer. In 1971 the enterprise was offered by auction to Pearsons of Enfield. Pearsons was sold to Morleys Stores in 2010, with the Bishop Stortford store closed in 2012. Opened as Hammonds on completion of latest building 1970. Subsequently, acquired by House of Fraser 1972; renamed Binns; closed c.
Lingards – Originally Sunbridge Road.Bought by United Drapery Stores; New retailer opened The mall, Westgate. Both stores closed by UDS on 23 April 1977. Kennards – Opened by Debenhams as a branch of Kennards of Croydon; renamed Debenhams 1973. R H O Hills – Bought by Whiteleys. Acquired by House of Fraser 1975; integrated into the Binns group; renamed Binns; closed. Gosling & Sons – Established 1795.
Subsequently, acquired by House of Fraser 1969; renamed Dingles 1973; renamed House of Fraser 2000s. Cole Brothers – Bought by Selfridge Provincial Stores 1927. Acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; renamed John Lewis 2002.
Acquired by House of Fraser 1959; renamed Rackhams Nineteen Seventies; renamed House of Fraser 1980s; closed 1998. Tyrrell & Green – Established 1897.
Premises purchased by Boyes and reopened in 1998. The co-operative continues to operate a variety of companies outside of non-food retail. Fear Hill – group of four department shops; the Trowbridge retailer was established in 1880. Harrison Gibson – closed 2010Harrison Gibson – Opened as a department of Harrison Gibson of Ilford.
Compton House – Built for retailer J.R.Jeffery in 1865; closed in 1871. Compton House holds a singular worldwide standing as a contender for the world’s first division retailer, pre-dating Bon Marche in Paris by some five years. Building converted to a resort in 1873 and a part of the building has been occupied by Marks & Spencer since 1928. W J Buckley & Co. – Bought by Selfridge Provincial Stores and subsequently acquired by the John Lewis Partnership in 1940. The store was bought to Busbys of Bradford in 1953 who rebranded the store beneath the Busbys name. Busbys was itself purchased by Debenhams in 1958. The retailer was renamed Debenhams in 1973 and continues to commerce from the identical site .
Lewis’s – group went into administration in 1991. A variety of stores were subsequently acquired by Owen Owen.
A fireplace in 1970 destroyed the constructing and its neighbouring division retailer Buntings. The constructing was rebuilt but the retailer closed in 1984. Dale & Kerley – purchased by John Barker & Co.; acquired by House of Fraser 1957; incorporated into the Army & Navy group c. Building now occupied by T J Hughes .
- In 1971 the business was bought by public sale to Pearsons of Enfield.
- Henry Sparrow Started as Sworders Ironmongery store in the course of the mid 1800s in North Street.
- In 1904 it was bought by the shops clerk, Henry Sparrow.
- His family grew it into Bishop Stortford’s only division retailer.
- Opened as Hammonds on completion of recent building 1970.
Darling & Co. – Bought by House of Fraser from Great Universal Stores; closed. Traded as Colson & Spark ; Colson & Gates 1870–1889; Colson & Co. . Bought by Brights 1925; renamed Colsons of Exeter 1925.
North constructing now occupied by T K Maxx . South building demolished and website vacant . Garlands – Located in London Street.
Woolland Brothers – Established 1869; new constructing accomplished 1901. Bought by Debenhams 1949; closed 1967. Site now occupied by The Park Tower Knightsbridge Hotel . Building purchased by Hoopers and reopened as the primary Hoopers store 1982.
West & Moulton – Bought by Whiteleys. Verity & Sons – Bought by Owen Owen; renamed Owen Owen. Ricemans (Canterbury; previously Deal, Kent) – Relocated from Deal to purpose-built Canterbury retailer 1960s. Bought by Fenwick 1986; renamed Fenwick on relocation to new constructing 2003. Pearsons (Bishop’s Stortford) – Opened as a department of Pearsons of Enfield 1972 in premises formerly occupied by H Sparrow. Bought by Morleys Stores 2010; closed 2012.
Roslings – Opened at no. 31 London Road in 1905 before extending in 1932. Store closed in 1960 being bought by Woolworths who opened their new store in 1965.
A new Lewis’s department retailer opened on the location in 1929. Allders Department Stores – group went into administration on 29 January 2005. All branches have been subsequently bought or closed. The flagship Croydon store continued to trade independently after 2005, finally closing on 22 September 2012. Wright Brothers – Bought by Hide & Co. 1940. Acquired by Vaporesso Drizzle Traditional Coils 1 4ohm 5 Pack of Fraser 1975. Bought by Owen Owen from House of Fraser 1976; renamed Owen Owen; closed 1990; premises offered to Tesco.
Author Biograhy: Nataly Komova founded Chill Hempire after experiencing the first-hand results of CBD in helping her to relieve her skin condition. Nataly is now determined to spread the word about the benefits of CBD through blogging and taking part in events. In her spare time, Nataly enjoys early morning jogs, fitness, meditation, wine tasting, traveling and spending quality time with her friends. Nataly is also an avid vintage car collector and is currently working on her 1993 W124 Mercedes. Nataly is a contributing writer to many CBD magazines and blogs. She has been featured in prominent media outlets such as Cosmopolitan, Elle, Grazia, Women’s Health, The Guardian and others.